Saturday, January 12, 2013

First finish

I finally managed to get some sewing time last weekend, and finished quilting my Lotta quilt. It took me a few evenings to finish handstitching the binding and, since it's January, I had to wait another few days to be able to take some photos in (what goes for) daylight.

The fabric is from Lotta Jansdotter's premier collection, Echo, combined with Kona Cotton in Raisin. As I mentioned earlier, I got the inspiration from this quilt, and it's amazing how different it is with a dark solid, instead of a light one.

I pieced the backing from the same fabrics. I have come to love this recently - you get a front and back that belong together, and you get to use up a lot of the fabric instead of leaving it to languish in the stash.

Since I cut the pieces for this quilt a while before I started it, I have already attacked the scraps and made four mug rugs, and still I have some bits and pieces to use in other projects.

The quilting is done in a kind of loose and loopy shell pattern - I wanted to keep it soft and drapey, and, let's face it, it finishes much faster that way...

No comments :