Saturday, April 22, 2006

House plans


It's official: I'm about to start a new project. As I mentioned earlier, I fell head over heels in love with the quilt from Barb Adams and Alma Allen's book "Home Sweet Home". I had some problems with the size, though. It is supposed to be 76 1/2" square (190x190 cm) and in my opinion that's just too big for a wall quilt - for my walls, anyway... It would also be too small for a bed, and I already have my plans ready for another bed quilt, so I didn't really "need" one. I have decided that I'm going to reduce the patterns to 60 % of the original size, as that will make a wall hanging of aprox. 46" square (115x115cm), which will be perfect above my sofa. I have found some great fabrics for the background - one cream coloured one with beige roses and handwriting and another cream one with soft pink flowers. The dark pink fabrics are from my stash and will look good for the houses, I think. I'm going for an old fashioned "faded" look and I'm going to find a dusty turquoise floral for some of the details. That's actually the colour I'm thinking of painting my living room walls in, when I get around to it... But I think this quilt will look good with the present dark blue wall colour anyway! So now I only need to find some greens to go with the rest and I'll have my next hand-stitching project ready to go! I make most of my quilts by machine, but it's nice to have a project to take along to guild meetings and get-togethers at the quilt shop.

The colours of this project are quite different from my usual style - I tend to go for brighter colours, but after falling for Amy Butler's "Ginger Bliss" collection, I have found myself becoming more attracted to softer hues, and I have a few projects lined up, among others this quilt top. I really need to finish this one soon... The plan is to make a pieced backing from the same fabrics to make this a totally reversible lap quilt. I just have to find a slightly calmer fabric for the border.
Talking of bright colours, look at my latest purchases, "Fields of Colour"-fabrics from Fun Factory for Moda. These will look great in my stash for the time being...


I also fell for these from the "So you, sew fun" line from RJR - a feel a new tote bag coming on!

No comments :