Sunday, July 05, 2009

Inspiration

I seem to be fluttering about from this to that, unable to settle and work on any single project lately. Summer weather is partly to blame for it, my sewing space is just too hot when the sun is shining and settling in the shade with a good book has just been so much more tempting. But there is a little progress on a few things, which will be revealed in due course. A chance meeting with a friend from my guild brought back me that we have a September deadline on our challenge. Time to get started, I think! The challenge was to use the black and white fabric squares provided and make a small quilt (11"x18" at most). I immediately thought of a technique I'd seen in Quilter's Newsletter a while back of weaving fabric creating a undulating chess board. Luckily, my ongoing project of pruning my magazine collection meant that I found the magazine easily enough, so I'm all set to try it out.
I've been playing with that chess board idea in my mind, and finally it dawned on me what I wanted to do - now the pawns in a chess game are also described as armed peasants. And peasants live in a village, whereas the Queen and King are in their castle up on the hill. Village and castle equals houses, right? One of my favourite subjects. So that's what I'm going to play with today. I have several big projects on the back burner, but I think I need to work small for a while, play with techniques, and try out new things and just have some fun. Yes, that sounds like a plan.

No comments :