Monday, April 19, 2010

Furrows


furrows2
Originally uploaded by crafty mathea
I'm keeping myself busy, alternating between machine and hand quilting on my Harvest quilt. It just dawned on me how appropriate it actually is to quilt what seems like furrows on this, it beeing a harvest quilt and all... It might have been my subconcious that helped me choose this quilting, perhaps...
- Or just that I'm inspired by BooDilly's quilts again, except from the fact that I have deliberately stitched wonky lines because I know I'd have trouble keeping my lines straight. I'm also choosing the easy route by stitching one line the right way, then 3/4 of an inch (or so) to the right, before hitting the reverse button on the machine and going back to the top - as little twisting and turning of the quilt as possible! I thought at first that I would just machine stitch this quilt, but realized that the lines would have had to be much closer to get the effect I wanted, so after a little deliberation I ended up handquilting in between the rows of machine stitching. I'm using Sulky Blendable 12 weight thread and intentionally keeping my stitches fairly large and uneven. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;-) Actually I think I quite like the effect...

No comments :