Thursday, April 11, 2013

I've got my work cut out for me...

Sorry, I just can't resist those bad puns! And it's not accurate either, because I'm the one who has been doing all the cutting. The thing is that fabric has accumulated (don't know how that happens...) and I really need to do a bit of sewing  to create space for it all - I have such big problems, don't I?

The thing is that I am great at making plans, but it takes more of an effort to actually do something about them, so I have come up with a new plan: I am making my own kits. The idea is that if I have all the pieces cut out it will be easier to grab a few minutes here and there and sew some pieces together, and voila, we have progress! We will see how it goes. I actually managed to prepare two such kits for myself yesterday.

 The first one is based on this Novella charm pack by Valorie Wells. The quilt is a simple one, as you can see above - the EQ sketch doesn't show the actual fabrics, but gives an idea of what it will look like. I have added a text fabric from Madrona road and some solids in light grey and robin's egg blue. I think it might work.

The next one is my "Dreaming of Italy" quilt. I have a selection of fabric that reminds me of Italy: terracotta, tiles, mosaics, vines, flowers, postcards - lots of warm colours set off by the azure blue of the sea. The EQ sketch gives the overall layout, but I'm going for a more random placement in the actual quilt.
I fell for this bundle of fabric on a recent shopping trip, but I don't really know what to do with it. Maybe a jumble of coloured squares in different sizes a la Kaffe Fassett? A checkerboard style quilt with solid white or grey? Or something entirely different? Any suggestions?

At least I have a few things to stitch while I'm mulling over this one.

No comments :