Last weekend I finally got to work, playing with the squares on my design wall (glorious name for a flanell sheet hung from two hooks...) and started sewing. I combined the squares with strips of white Kona and stitched all the floral strips together alternating short and long ones, after sorting them into random piles. I used these strips in between and as a border. All in all the top came together quite easily and I'm quite pleased with it. I even found a big enough length of backing fabric in my stash, so it shouldn't be too long before I can start quilting it.
PS! I tend to think I have come up with designs of my own, but sometimes it's my subconcious playing a trick and I have a suspicion that I might have seen a similar quilt layout somewhere online. If you think you have seen it somewhere, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due.