Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I think I'll hang on to that day job...


Isn't this lovely? It is not one of my creations, but a free pattern found here. There is one dress for each month of the year (this is the March dress) all in 50s style. A friend of mine sent me the link yesterday, and I've been thinking about them ever since. These dresses are from a time when my mother was a young girl. She's about to retire from work this autumn, and I was thinking that a quilt, wallhanging or something with these dresses might be a fittingly nostalgic present for her. Or maybe I'll just stitch them and keep them for myself... Or make one set for me and one for her! They are not too complicated, and shouldn't take too much time to stitch, hm... tempted!

But first things first, there is a kite quilt to finish. It is coming along nicely, but it is a good thing that I don't do this for a living: with all the frogging I have had to do on this project, I would never have made enough of an income to keep myself in the style I'm accustomed to :-D I have persevered though, and I can safely say that I have got the hang of this foundation piecing thing again, for now... I think it will be a while before I try it again, and by then I will probably have forgotten how to do it and will have to start all over again.

Never mind, I have finished all the blocks now and joined them to the background pieces, so I have five strips of blocks laid out ready to be stitched to the narrow strips that go in between. As long as I manage to get some quality time with my sewing machine tomorrow, I'll manage to get those finished as well and I can start assembling the quilt top. So far I'm confident that I will manage to complete the quilt before August 10th, to present it to the birthday boy.

No comments :