Friday, January 01, 2010

New year, new possibilities

I'm slowly, slowly emerging from a self induced holiday coma, trying to face up to the fact that everyday life is about to resume. I need a major shopping trip tomorrow, as the cupboards are bare. At least when it comes to staples like milk and bread. Luckily there is the weekend to tide us over before we have to plunge into the first work week of the new year.

I have been doing a bit of sewing today, and although I didn't finish the top of my x-block quilt today, I'm well on my way. My sister's bag is almost done as well, just the shoulder strap to stitch and attatch and I'll be done.

I haven't really taken stock of 2009 yet, but I know I made quite a few quilts and quilt-related items. I have lots of ideas for more quilts to make in 2010, but first on my list are some of those UFOs I have lying around. Some of them are more than 10 years old, and although I could justify throwing them out, I have decided what is to become of them. I'll get back to that later.

Finishing UFOs might be like tying up loose ends. But maybe that's not what they are? Let's call them loose beginnings instead! I'm not going to make any rash promises for 2010, but I will make an effort to work with what I have, and to explore new possibilities. My quilting has been a lot about traditional shapes and patterns, and although that's not going to stop, I also want to continue exploring new paths, working more intuitively and less guided by rules. I hope you will follow me on this path.
Happy New Year!

No comments :