Saturday, December 08, 2012

Baking street

Holiday preparations have officially started ;-) I  baked a batch of orange-chocolate biscotti today after sorting out my kitchen cupboards. Three half used packets of brown sugar have joined forces in one jar, ten year old spice has left the building and I have a feeling of control over my cupboards for a while... The kitchen is clean and I have plans for more baking tomorrow.

This evening, however, is dedicated to sewing. I'm working on a blanket for a girl I work with. She has just had her first baby, a lovely little boy. She had crocheted a blanket for him and wanted to have it backed with fabric. I offered to do it for her, and could have kicked myself several times for doing so, because it has been more complicated than I thought it would be. The yarn is quite bulky and one side is about six inches shorter than the other and to get this to work with a fabric backing was not as easy as I thought it would be. I thought that I could join the two with binding and just tie some knots here and there to keep the layers together. But the result was just too baggy on the fabric side, so I had to come up with a new solution which involves folding and running stitches. It looks much better now, so I hope it will be done before the evening is over. Pictures tomorrow!

No comments :