Tuesday, January 08, 2008

On the wall

The first part of the new quilt is up on my design wall and I'm beginning to reconsider. The fabrics are lovely in rich autumny colours all designed by Lonni Rossi. I usually mix and match fabric from all sorts of different collections and makers, but these just seemed to belong together with their bountiful harvest theme. The design is from Kaffe Fassett's book "Kaleidoscope of Quilts" and consists of three different panels of squares in three sizes.
The colours of these photos are a bit more matte than in real life, and the green does looks better with the rest of them. But after looking at it from a distance the thing still seems a bit bland. And as luck would have it, I didn't have enough fabric for all the small squares, so I'll have to come up with something.
I have a couple of fabrics with autumn leaves, which fit in with the theme and colours, but might be just too detailed compared to the rest.
I was thinking of adding a border in black, and in fact I do have a black version of one of the fabrics and that might work. Maybe I should add some black squares as well? Or maybe I should use a black without brown in it?
I have been tempted to add a few turqoise squares - like water glimpsed through the leaves...? But that might just be too much...

I will just have to keep the squares up on the wall and mull it over for a few days. That usually helps, even if my design wall is just a flannel sheet with grommets in two corners, hooked up on my bedroom wall...

No comments :