Saturday, October 04, 2008

This and that...

I have been experimenting a bit with fabric paint, diluted fabric paint and paint sticks to make my moon fabric softer and lighter, but I can't seem to get the effect I was after - the paint either becomes too dense or too subtle, and it turned out that the paint stick I had was beige, not white, so that's just 'blah'. I might just stick with the fabric the way it is, or maybe quilt the moon with some pale yellow thread before I add the witch and bats - that might just do the trick. The piece that I bleached is in the upper left corner in this picture, just to show how different it is from the original - where the h*** did the pink come from??
I'm also experimenting a bit with transferring foil to fabric as seen on the Quilting Arts DVD. I can't seem to get the foil to stick every time I try, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, so I must try some more, and maybe check that DVD again.
I'm experimenting on a dragonfly quilt block for a friend - and if I don't totally ruin it with machine embroidery tomorrow, there will be some close-ups.
And no, I haven't abandoned this one yet. I finally got around to layering the quilt today, so I can start quilting - this is one of the stages I dread the most, because it's such a struggle to do on my own with a big quilt, but once I'm ready to quilt, the rest should be a breeze. Now it's only a question of finding the time to quilt...

2 comments :

Tine said...

The pink is just plain weird! I have no idea how that happened. LOL!
I LOVE the dragonfly!!!! It looks so pretty. Of course you won't ruin it :-)
The sunflower-quilt is so beautiful, I'm glad you haven't abandoned it -that would be such a waste! Basting quilts is difficult. I have to do it alone too, and it is a lot of crawling around on the floor. Do you use a basting gun?? I use pins....not that it is a breeze, but it's the easiest I have tried. Thread-basting is a pain, I only did that once. Never again! LOL!

Tine said...

oh oh...a thought....is the yellow moon fabric ligther on the "wrong" side? If so, you could just turn it wrong side up....