Sunday, August 31, 2008

Fabric confessions


I must confess. I have been shopping this summer. A lot. My sister and I just went on a short trip at the beginning of my holidays. It involved among other things a visit to two quilt shops (of course - that's the first thing one looks for in a new place, right?) and then I spent the rest of my time off at home. Hence the great surge of activity - Olympic quilting and the Sunflower quilt, etc. But, there is always the lure of the internet....
Not that I'm blaming anyone, but blogging is becoming an expensive pastime... No sooner do I find myself at somebody's beautiful blog reading about the fabric they design, or use, than I find myself browsing online stores... This summer I have been eagerly reminding myself of how much money I have saved by not going anywhere fancy on holiday, so some fabric purchases are just the kind of thing I deserve, right? It's beeing downright thrifty, because of all the airfare saved, even if the fabric is new...

I hadn't realized how much of it there was already, and I'm still waiting for some Farmer's Market on backorder, so there is no doubt that I might soon apply for a black belt in fabric shopping... So let's have a closer look, shall we?
Some lovely brights by Anna Maria Horner (the one in the upper right hand corner is actually just the center of a HUGE flower!), Kaffe Fassett and Heather Bailey.

Amy Butler and Sandie Henderson could be best friends, these pink and green florals seem to belong together.

Some Ava Rose and coordinating stripe. I'm not to be blamed for these actually - they are for my sister, who fell head over heels in love with a quilt pattern and wants me to make a quilt in those exact fabrics. Luckily (because there's a lot of stitchery on it) she only wants a small wallhanging, not the lap sized one in the pattern - I will get around to it eventually, I suppose...

These two Alexander Henry fabrics were just too sweet to resist. I have some freestyle quilting in mind for the light blue background of the apple and pears one to make the fruit really stand out.

Red and white is always right - the solid one is corduroy - for a bag, I think. And a blue and white polka dot will always come in handy...
That floral with the orange background gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, and I had to find some more oranges to go with it in case I didn't have any in my stash... My mother exclaimed when she saw it that my gran had an apron just like that when she was a child, so that might explain my wave of nostalgia - no doubt it was hanging around somewhere in her little house in the country when I was little. Not that I need any justification for my purchases, don't get the idea that I'm beating up on myself here, because I have been having a lot of fun shopping! Now I just need to come up with some new projects to use them in.
I have some ideas already...

And I'm not just idly stroking my new fabrics - I'm about to watch a good movie while stitching the binding to my Olympic quilt. There will be pictures...

1 comment :

Tine said...

Wow-wow-wow-wow!! What absolutely stunning fabrics! I LOVE the orange! Lucky lucky you, it'll be so much fun to plan new projects with this stash!