Sunday, May 04, 2008

New pathways

I might become a knitter yet! It's not that I don't like to knit, and I have done my fair share in the past, but after I discovered quilting, knitting just had to wait in the wings. When I first caught on to this blogging thing, I saw that there were a lot of knitting blogs out there, but I never thought that would have any influence on my life...
After discovering Knitty, and some really nice and unusual yarns out there, I felt the itch though, and some scarves later, my stash had started growing almost of it's own accord.
Socks though? Nah, I wouldn't knit any socks... But then there was this lovely sock yarn, and the added interest of online patterns, socks starting at the toe, short row heels, hm, maybe I should have a go... So I did, but a couple of half-finished socks later I realized I needed some directions.
A plain old boring sock like the ones we made at school just wouldn't do, I needed something a bit more interesting... (Always on the lookout for something unusual, a challenge of some sort, I am...)
So now I'm exploring new pathways using the scientific approach. I have knitted my first little learning sock from this book (I'm actually following directions and doing what I'm told!), and I'm well on the way with the other one, and I'm happy to say that it does make a difference! - With clear instructions, humour and explanations about the Mother and the Grandmother of your stitches, stitches wearing scarves etc. Cat Bordhi is making everything so much clearer. Great book, this one, but I just can't decide whether I want to make Tibetans or Robin Hood's Fireside Boots first. Or maybe I'll finish the ones I've started...

Meanwhile there's always quilting. I finally managed to make a decision about the borders on this one, and after waiting impatiently for Mr. Postman, it finally arrived, too late to get it ready for the actual occasion, but my dear M got some pictures of the quilt in progress and a silly verse about the trials of making a quilt, and she's happy to wait until I have finished it. Not that she has much choice in the matter, though!
I think the white with black paisley and black with white dots go well with all the colours in this one. I have basted it today, and I'm really looking forward to quilting it. That won't be until tomorrow though, so I still have some time to ponder different quilting options. I found some yardage of two different Jan Mullen prints in my stash. Four lengthwise strips, pieced together, will do nicely for the backing. I have had a couple of very busy months and this blog has been sadly neglected. Although I might still have some busy days ahead at work, there seems to be more spare time to do some crafting, and one hopes, more to blog about. I'm a bit late for the party as usual, but I have decided to join Allsorts' A Post A Day in May thing and see where that takes me...

1 comment :

Tine said...

HI! So good to see you in blog-land!
I like the black-and-white border, it's going to look really great. Good for you, not to allow this beauty to become a UFO ;-)